Do you *honestly* need to overcome some fear? Do you feel STUCK or paralyzed about starting your business or the next BIG thing that you KNOW you need to do for your business? After TONS of conversations with lots of different people, I can 100% tell you that you are not alone. But take heart, you do NOT have to let fear win, and you do NOT have to stay stuck.
These 8 Mindset shifts will help you figure out where the root of that fear is coming from and kick it in the teeth as you move BOLDLY forward into ALL that God has for you to do!
Trust me when I say that this episode will leave you feeling not only inspired but with some REALY tangible tools in your spiritual AND business toolbelt to Overcome the Fear of Starting or Stepping Up to a New Level in Business, Life, or Ministry!
The sad truth is, SOOO many amazing ideas are left stuck in the planning stage because of fear. I love this quote from Les Brown.
“The graveyard is the richest place on earth, because it is here that you will find all the hopes and dreams that were never fulfilled, the books that were never written, the songs that were never sung, the inventions that were never shared, the cures that were never discovered, all because someone was too afraid to take that first step, keep with the problem, or determined to carry out their dream.” –Les Brown
8 Mindset Shifts to Overcome the Fear of Starting
1. The first step to overcoming your fear of starting is this: to recognize what the root fear is.
- Where is that fear coming from? Really? Fear is not from God. Your GOOD good heavenly Father doesn’t want you to be terrified to do the thing that He has called you to do!
- 2 Timothy reminds us that “God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and a sound well-balanced mind.”
- Play it out- worst case scenario
- I know that this sounds counter-intuative, but really. Whats the WORST that can happen if your business fails? You have to go get a “regular job” or flip burgers for a while while you get back on your feet
- Ask yourself: What’s the end result of NOT doing that thing?
- If you’re like ALL humans (myself included) when you are not working towards something that matters to you and when you’re not actively pursuing the things that are IN YOUR DNA to do, you get grumpy and apathetic!
- At the end of your life, you’ll be WAY more frustrated/ sad about the things that you didn’t try than the things that you did try and maybe failed at.
Honestly, if you are still struggling after working through these questions, there is probably an identity issue in there somewhere that you need to sit with the Holy Spirit and let Him help you with.
2. Realizing that every expert was once a beginner is a huge part of overcoming fear.
- Nobody looks fantastic on their first attempt. It truly is a growth process for EVERYONE
- YES some people have more natural gifts than others and there’s always that ONE person (cough cough, my husband) who’s stupid athletic and can make almost anything look easy. BUT if he had to sit down and do what I do for work, he would stumble his way through a little at first too.
3. Starting something new and big and scary or taking that next step is kind of like flexing a muscle- it gets easier to overcome that fear each time.
- There was definitely a learning curve and LOTS of tutorials that I had to watch and re-watch when I first started my podcast. However, because I have started new “big scary” things before and fairly recently, I KNEW I could do it. I had flexed that starting muscle often enough and recently enough that it was less intimidating to start something new.
4. It gets easier
- Honestly, when I first started my first blog 5 years ago, it took me 4-6 hours just to write and publish one blog. Now, I write, publish, and optimize most blogs in an hour- hour and a half. AND they are better quality!
- I’m not saying that every task in your business will see that level of time improvement, but I will say that 90% of it really will get easier.
- So many people quit after their first or second try because the “newness” makes it hard. But when you go into it knowing that “it really will get easier” it makes hanging on through the learning curve so. much. easier!
5. Recognizing your own strengths and weaknesses is key to overcoming fear of anything, including starting a business
- One of my favorite “personality tests” I’ve ever taken is this one: Clifton Stregthsfinder. I love that it really helps you to focus on your strengths and not just point out your weaknesses.
- Honestly, just starting and taking messy action REALLY is one of my strengths, and there are several people in my world who I’ve gotten to help with that strength. However, thinking about and planning for all the finite details is NOT one of my strengths and I NEED people in my life who excel at that!
- Recognize your own strengths and try to surround yourself with some people who have different strengths so that you can truly help each other!
6. If you don’t step out, you fail twice
- Whether it is following the leading of Holy Spirit or learning a new business skill and implementing it, truly, if you don’t just DO THE THING, you miss it twice. Because even IF you fail, you learn more by doing and failing than you ever would by sitting on the sidelines.
If you don’t step out, you miss it twice.-Brother Kenneth E. Hagin
7. When trying to Overcome Fear, Remember This: You Can Always Try Again
- There truly is no “idea police” who won’t let you try again if you make a big mistake or have a business fail. You realy can try again.
- The only people who are going to be really, harshly critical are those who are doing nothing.
8. At the end of the day the only one whose approval matters is God’s
- (Well and your family should be on board too) but if you’re doing what God has called you to do and really seeking Him in it, I do believe that He’ll put the right people around you.
I truly believe that there are soooo many amazing ideas out there, just waiting for us to have the courage to implement them! Don’t let fear keep you from starting or up-leveling the thing that God has called you to do. Truly, there are people waiting on the other side of your boldness and obedience who NEED the gift of God in YOU!
And truly, this podcast will leave you feeling not only encouraged, but with some really practical tips to keep in your back pocket when the enemy tries to come at you with fear. Give it a listen and a written review, pretty please.